Natural Hair Care Tips for Summer at Home
How to Take Care of Your Hair Naturally In the Summer: Tips and Products
The harsh conditions and dry air of winter can wreak havoc on our hair. As the weather turns warmer, the summer sun replenishes much-needed vitamin D to brighten up dull hair and add shine to tresses — but our hair craves more. A refreshing, hydrating and moisturizing treatment is welcome relief for dry, brittle strands.
We offer an impressive selection of natural hair care products — from shampoos, conditioners and masks to anti-frizz serums, hair spray and heat protectors. If you're anything like me, it can be overwhelming to make a decision. To help my fellow hair-loving ladies out, I've come up with a list of natural summer hair care tips as well a few of my favorite products to maintain luscious, summer-ready hair.
- AApply Alba Botanica Hawaiian Detox Daily Clarifying Conditioner before bed or during the day when your scalp feels dry and dehydrated, especially if you live in a hot, dry climate.
- If you live in an area with hard water, use apple cider vinegar or a wonderfully moisturizing shampoo like Giovanni Ultra-Moist Shampoo to conquer dry, damaged hair and discover a radiant new world of strength and shine.
- For dull, dry stands, try an oil rinse using Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil, olive oil or Aura Cacia Avocado Oil after shampooing. Simply glide oiled up fingers through your hair from root to ends, rinse and condition as usual. These nourishing oils penetrate hair follicles and strands, increasing their ability to absorb water.
- For a convenient natural, oil-based moisturizer, try Giovanni Ultra-Repair Hair Mask. Be careful not to over-oil your hair because shampoos won’t be able to clean properly.
- Spritz Desert Essence Coconut Hair Defrizzer & Heat Protector or apply other hair styling products to keep flyaways at bay. You can also try Giovanni Ultra-Moist Binding Serum, which is rich in protecting SPF, before heading out into the sun.
Clarify And Cleanse
- To break up your routine, use a clarifying shampoo like Avalon Organics Apple Cider Vinegar Smooth Shine Conditioner once a week, especially after swimming.
- After prolonged sun exposure, try a leave-in conditioner like Andalou Naturals Argan Oil Plus Conditioner to replenish moisture and promote manageability and shine.
- Taking a dive into a chlorine-laden pool? Try applying a protecting conditioner like Alba Botanica So Smooth Gardenia Conditioner before jumping in. It will help block harmful chemicals from being absorbed into your hair and also prevents it from drying out.
But, Why Natural?
Using natural, plant-based products on your hair and scalp means removing unnecessary chemical compounds and additives like parabens, sulfates, SLS (sodium dodecyl sulfate), sudsing agents, fragrance and other stabilizers. Because of this, natural products will likely behave differently than conventional. They may not be as sudsy, smell as strong or leave your hair as shiny, for example.
It’s also worth noting that natural products won’t last quite as long, as there are no preservatives to keep them shelf stable. Depending on the product, you can expect a natural hair care product to last six months to two years. It’s important to regularly check the scent and the consistency. If the product has separated or has a funky smell, it's probably time to throw it out and replace it. Many of our natural hair care products are also recyclable, septic and white water safe and cruelty free, meaning you can feel good about using them.
Have more questions, or comments, about which natural brands or products work best for your hair this summer? Add them below! We’d love to help you find answers to your questions.
PS: Don’t forget to take care of your skin this Summer. Check out our 4 tips and recipes for summer skin care.