Honey Chipotle Popcorn
Total Time: 15 mins
Hands-on Time: 15 mins
Makes: 4-6 servings
The sweet and spicy blend of honey and chipotle makes a surprisingly delicious popcorn topping that starts sweet and ends with a warm, smoky bite. First, pop your kernel, then boil the honey, butter, and chipotle powder. This creates a frothy, sticky mixture that smells wonderful. Next, pour this over your freshly popped popcorn and mix to coat it. Then, the magic happens. We’ll spread the popcorn out on a baking sheet and bake it for 10 minutes until the syrupy mixture caramelizes and the popcorn is extra crunchy and light. Serve warm and enjoy!
YOU WILL NEED
Large pot with lid
Large mixing bowl
2 Tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/3 cup organic raw honey
1/4 tsp ground Frontier Co-op Chipotle Powder
1 Tbsp Butter
1/4 tsp Frontier Co-op Sea Salt
- Using a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons coconut or vegetable oil over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. I recommend a pasta pot with glass lid, so you can see what’s popping.
- To test the oil’s temperature, add 3 popcorn kernels. Once they pop, add the remaining 1/2 cup.
- Cover the pot with lid and cook.
- With a secure grip on the lid, shake the pot every 20 seconds or so to avoid burning the kernels.
- When you don’t hear a pop for about 30 seconds, remove pot from heat and pour popcorn into large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, bring the honey and butter to a boil, stirring often. Once the mixture starts to boil, remove from heat and add the chipotle powder. Stir until completely blended.
- Pour your popcorn into a large mixing bowl and drizzle the honey chipotle mixture over it while mixing. Stir or toss the popcorn until the honey chipotle mixture has been evenly blended into it. Your popcorn may not be completely or heavily coated with the syrup, and that’s ok.
- Pour the popcorn out onto the parchment lined baking sheet and spread out evenly. Try to get a single layer of popcorn.
- Bake the popcorn at 300 degrees on middle rack of oven for 15 minutes or until the mixture caramelizes and darkens.
- Let the popcorn cool from hot to warm and then serve and enjoy. You can store your popcorn in an airtight container, and it will stay fresh for about 2 weeks.
POPPING THE POPCORN
From this recipe
Wildly Organic Wildly Organic Refined Coconut Oil 14 fl. oz. SKU: 235177$11.25
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Chipotle Pepper, Ground 2.15 oz. SKU: 19525$6.19
Mrs Anderson Mrs. Anderson's Half Sheet Baking Pan 18 L x 13 W x .75 SKU: 236741$21.75
Mrs Anderson Mrs. Anderson's Silicone Spatula 10" SKU: 237318$8.15
Harold Import Company Harold Import Company Mixing Bowl, Stainless Steel, 6 quart 10.75 x 10.75 x 5 SKU: 236769$29.99
Accessories 10 Stainless Steel Whisk SKU: 213981$7.09