Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup
Total Time: 30 mins
Makes: 8 servings
This dairy-free tomato soup is as creamy as can be with the addition of canned coconut milk, and no, it doesn’t taste like coconut. Jarred roasted red peppers and canned San Marzano tomatoes make this dish come together in a flash. It is a forgiving soup in that if you don’t have a full onion no worries… maybe you only have one leftover celery stalk, not a big deal. Just simmer and add your favorite Simply Organic Umami Blend or any combination of Frontier Co-op or Simply Organic spices you love. Pair it with my dinner strudel/spanakopita recipe or a grilled cheese. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
2 28-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes (I used fire roasted and one with basil)
3/4 - 1 cup of chopped roasted red pepper from a jar or make your own
3-4 cups of chicken stock
1 15-ounce can of unsweetened coconut milk
2 ribs of celery roughly chopped
1 medium to large carrot roughly chopped or 1/2 bag of shredded carrot
1 sweet onion roughly chopped or a couple of shallots
1 teaspoon or to taste of Frontier Co-op garlic flakes
2 tablespoons or more to taste of Simply Organic Umami Blend Sweet & Smoky (you can play around with any of the spices to taste. Pizza seasoning, Herbs of Italy, Berbere, El Ras Hanout, so many options, just make sure you start with a smaller amount than is listed and adjust for taste)
A pinch or two of Wholesome Organic sugar or coconut sugar if you like a sweeter soup
Frontier Co-op salt & pepper to taste
A drizzle of pomegranate molasses or balsamic syrup
Shaved parmesan cheese if you are not dairy-free or vegan parmesan
- In a large dutch oven sauté the carrots, celery, onion until they start to sweat and soften a bit.
- Add in the sweet & smoky umami blend and garlic flake and sauté a minute more while stirring.
- Add in your tomatoes and 3 cups of the chicken stock, pinch of sugar if using and bring to a low simmer until veggies are soft.
- Once veggies are cooked through, turn off the heat and add in the coconut milk. With an immersion stick blender, blend until the soup is smooth & creamy. Using 1 cup of reserved stock to thin out your soup to desired consistency.
- Top with shaved parmesan, a drizzle of pomegranate molasses and fresh basil.
- Serve alone or with our Spanakopita Hand Pies
- Dig in.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Garlic Flakes 2.64 oz. SKU: 18348$6.49
Simply Organic Simply Organic Sweet & Smoky Umami Blend 2.82 oz. SKU: 15738$8.49
Wholesome Sweeteners Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Granulated Sugar 32 oz. SKU: 232715$8.49
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Table Grind 5 lb. SKU: 193$13.84
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Black Pepper, Fine Grind, Organic 1.80 oz. SKU: 18436$8.19
Wholesome Sweeteners Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Molasses 16 fl. oz. SKU: 232718$6.99
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Pizza Seasoning Blend 1.04 oz. SKU: 18906$4.19
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Herbs of Italy 0.80 oz. SKU: 18446$4.69
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Berbere Seasoning, Organic 2.3 oz. SKU: 19473$5.19