Sweet & Smoky Tuscany Pumpkin Au Gratin Potatoes
Total Time: 90 mins
Makes: 4-6 servings
These au gratin potatoes are sure to be a hit at your next holiday meal. This dish is simple to prepare using Cucina Antica Tuscany Pumpkin Sauce. Bursting with fall flavors, the hardest part is slicing the potatoes. This recipe is easily doubled if you are feeding a large crowd. I paired gouda cheese with Simply Organic sweet and smoky umami. Easy swaps are your favorite Simply Organic umami blend, Herbs de Provence, Herb of Italy or Berbere if you want some deep heat. Swap out the gouda with your favorite cheese. This makes a scrumptious weeknight vegetarian meal paired with a crisp green salad. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
3 pounds of organic russet potatoes (doesn’t have to be exact) scrubbed well as I left skins on for added fiber
1 25-ounce jar of Cucina Antica Tuscany Pumpkin Sauce
1 to 1 1/4 cup of chicken stock
2-4 teaspoons or to taste of Simply Organic Sweet & Smoky Umami Blend
2-3 cups of shredded gouda or smoked gouda depending on how cheese you like it
1 cup of Parmigiano Reggiano
Frontier Co-op salt & pepper to taste
*Optional garnish with any fresh herbs you may have on hand
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray your baking dish or pan with non-stick spray. I used a cast iron-covered enamel stovetop to oven pan that was 12 inches in diameter and 2.5 inches deep. Depending on the thickness of your pan will also determine the amount of cook time.
- In a bowl, whisk the jar of pumpkin sauce, your chicken stock, and spices and set aside.
- Cut thin round slices of potato.
- Ladle a small amount of sauce in the pan and spread with a spatula. Just a light layer.
- Place 2 thin layers of potatoes over the sauce, ladle a bit more sauce and spread, then sprinkle some gouda. You are going to do this 2 more times (3 total).
- Cover with tinfoil and bake until hot & bubbly and potatoes are tender. You will need to check this as everyone's pan thickness is different and oven temperatures vary. It could take up to 90 minutes you have a thick pan. If you know your oven runs hot, reduce the temp to 375.
- Once potatoes are cooked through, layer on the parmesan and set the oven to broil for a few minutes creating a bubbly golden brown crust. This takes just a minute or two and so don’t walk away from the oven.
- Sprinkle with another dusting of the sweet & smoky and any fresh herbs you may have on hand.
- Dig in
From this recipe
Cucina Antica Cucina Antica Tuscany Pumpkin Pasta & Cooking Sauce 25 oz. SKU: 234687$10.69
Simply Organic Simply Organic Sweet & Smoky Umami Blend 2.82 oz. SKU: 15738$8.49
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Table Grind 5 lb. SKU: 193$13.84
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Black Pepper, Fine Grind, Organic 1.80 oz. SKU: 18436$8.19