Pistachio Pitaya aka Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
Total Time: 10 mins
Makes: 1 servings
Move over acai, dragon fruit aka pitaya, is my absolute favorite fruit to make a smoothie bowl with. The taste is touted as a strawberry pear flavor while the vibrant pink color is completely unmatched in beauty by any other fruit. Full of fiber and prebiotics, this fruit is a powerhouse for your gut health, promoting the growth of lactic acid and bifidobacteria. It’s also full of magnesium, with 18% of your recommended daily allowance in one cup, this mineral is present in every one of your cells and takes part in over 600 important chemical reactions within your body. I added a nice pistachio butter “crackle” on top with some granola and coconut, but you can add whatever toppings you are in the mood for. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
1 large frozen banana in chunks
3.5 ounce frozen pitaya/dragon fruit packet
1/3-1/2 cup of frozen pineapple
1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op chia seed
2 teaspoons of Karmalize.me pistachio butter
1/2 teaspoon Dr. Bronner’s coconut oil
Grandy Oats dark chocolate chunk and almond granola
Bob’s Red Mill shredded coconut
Karmalize.me sunflower seeds
- Place frozen banana, pitaya, pineapple and chia seed in a food processor fitted with a blade. This can be made in a high powered blender but I find that to get that super thick soft-serve nice cream consistency that a food processor works the best.
- Pulse the frozen fruit and the chia seed a couple of times. It is going to be loud and clunky, don’t fret. Scrape down the sides. Pulse some more. Keep scraping and then pulsing. Trust me, this is all worth it in the end, as it will be as thick & creamy as soft-serve ice cream but it takes patience and a couple of minutes. Once you have pulsed it and it is combined but not completely smooth, turn off the processor and walk away to prepare the crackle topping.
- Place the pistachio butter & coconut oil in a small microwave-safe ramekin and melt the coconut oil into the butter for maybe 15 seconds. Stir and make sure it is warm and oil is dissolved.
- Go back and pulse or turn on your frozen fruit again and run the processor until everything is smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Scoop out into a bowl and drizzle the pistachio topping over the cold pitaya nice cream.
- Top with some granola, coconut and sunflower seeds.
- The pistachio butter will start to harden and give the top of the smoothie this candy crackle-like topping (remember the chocolate-dipped cone you got as a kid?).
- Dig In!
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Chia Seed, Whole, Organic 1 lb. SKU: 4416$22.88
Karmalize.Me Karmalize.Me Pistachio Butter 6 oz. Jar SKU: 233711$15.49
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Dr. Bronner's Whole Kernel Coconut Oil 30 fl. oz. SKU: 228671$22.99
Grandy Oats Grandy Oats Grain-Free Chocolate Chunk Coconola 9 oz. bag SKU: 233971$9.99
Bob's Red Mill Bob's Red Mill Unsweetened Shredded Coconut 12 oz. SKU: 233607$6.40
Karmalize.Me Karmalize.Me Organic Sunflower Seeds 6 oz. SKU: 230030$4.00