Sweet Heat Moroccan Snack Mix
Total Time: 1 hrs 30 mins
Makes: 12 cups
Using many common ingredients found in Moroccan cooking, this snack mix can be as spicy as you choose. The El Ras Hanout and Baharat spices add a nice warmth without fiery heat. You determine how much fire you want by adding red chili flakes to taste. Crunchy chickpeas are a surprise twist you will be addicted to. Apricot fruit spread adds the sweet to the heat. Not convinced yet? Serve it by the handfuls during your game day with a cold beer or place individual portions in a ramekin and drizzle it with a lil’ Mike’s Hot Honey and a sprinkle of fresh pomegranate seeds, just don’t forget the wet napkins for your fingers. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
2 cookie sheets
Beyond Gourmet parchment paper
Very large bowl
5 cups of organic whole grain cereal squares
1-2 cups of mini pretzels
1 cup of almond nut thins broken into 2 or 3 pieces
1 cup of hard small pita crackers or strips
2 cups of nuts (I used a combo of marcona almonds, pepitas, sliced almonds & macadamias)
1-2 cans of already baked crunchy chickpeas/garbanzo beans
1 cup of golden raisins
Sweet & Spicy Sauce
Chosen Food Avocado oil
3/4 cup of melted butter
2 tablespoons Dynamic Health coconut aminos
1/2 cup of apricot jam (store bought)
3 teaspoons or to taste of Frontier Co-op Ras El Hanout seasoning
3 teaspoons or to taste of Simply Organic Baharat seasoning
Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper flake purely to taste (you decide your heat level~some or none)
Frontier Co-op salt to taste (remember that some of the ingredients you use will already have salt on them such as: pretzels, some of the nuts, crackers)
Mike’s Hot honey
fresh pomegranate seeds
- 425 degree oven, line both cookie sheets with parchment
- Drain can(s) of chickpeas and rinse them. Dry them off and discarding any loose skins that fall off. Toss with 1 teaspoon of Chosen Foods Avocado oil per can and spread out on cookie sheet and bake for about 15 or so minutes. Set aside when time is up.
- Lower the oven temperature to 250 degrees.
- In a very large bowl add all your cereals, crackers, pitas, nuts, pretzels, raisins, crunch chickpeas etc. and stir gently to combine.
- On low heat in a saucepan combine all your sauce ingredients (minus the avocado oil) until the fruit jam as melted along with the butter, whisk everything together and taste your sauce. See if you need to make any adjustments with more heat with chili flake or extra seasoning etc.
- Pour 1/2 the sauce over the mix and gently fold the mixture. Once everything seems coated, fold in the other 1/2 of the sauce and fold again. Don’t be afraid to taste this before you pop it into the oven for adjustments.
- Spread out onto 2 cookie sheets and hit it with a good sprinkling of Frontier kosher or sea salt. Pop in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour, until everything is heated and getting crispy. Since everyone’s oven temperatures vary, make sure you are checking on the mix every 15 minutes or so and stirring it and you can even rotate the pans. You may not need to bake it the full amount of time.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool on the pan.
- You can serve it straight away or store in a container. Always make sure it is completely dry and there isn’t a rogue soggy piece of cereal anywhere before storing.
- Dig In!
From this recipe
Chosen Foods Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil 8.4 fl. oz. SKU: 236031$7.99
Dynamic Health Dynamic Health Organic Coconut Aminos (Glass) 8 fl. oz. SKU: 234056$7.59
Simply Organic Simply Organic Baharat Seasoning 2.50 oz. SKU: 19648$7.69
Beyond Gourmet Beyond Gourmet Unbleached Parchment Paper 15'L x 1.75 W x 1.75H SKU: 207425$7.99
Simply Organic Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper 1.59 oz. SKU: 18603$5.49
Harold Import Company Harold Import Company Mixing Bowl, Stainless Steel, 6 quart 10.75 x 10.75 x 5 SKU: 236769$23.35
Mike's Hot Honey Mike's Hot Honey Chili Infused Honey 12 fl. oz. squeeze bottle SKU: 234037$10.99
Mrs Anderson Mrs Anderson Half Sheet Baking Pan 18 L x 13 W x .75 SKU: 236741$13.99
Mrs Anderson Mrs Anderson Silicone Spatula 10" SKU: 237318$6.99