Crunchy Caramel Sunflower Butter Cups
Total Time: 45 mins
Makes: 24 cups
An easy recipe with lots of wow factor. The perfect sweet treat for your holiday dessert platter or for gift giving. Very versatile with the option of using different chocolates, nut butters or caramels. Put your own spin on this recipe. Who wouldn’t love to receive a dozen of these for the holidays? (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
1 mini-muffin tin with 24 wells or 2 mini 12 well muffin tins
24 mini cupcake liners
1 cup of your favorite Equal Exchange chocolate (I used bittersweet) *If you like a super thick chocolate shell, then double the amount of chocolate and coconut oil and drop by 1 teaspoon on the bottom & top layer.
1 tablespoon of Dr. Bronner’s Coconut Oil
1/2 cup of karmalize.me sunflower butter or nut butter of choice
3 tablespoons of Frontier Co-op maple powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of Simply Organic vanilla bean paste or 1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op or Simply Organic vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op maple flavoring (optional)
A box of organic crispy brown rice cereal (optional if you want crispy nut butter cups)
Fat Toad caramel flavor of choice (I used Vermont Maple)
Frontier Co-op flaked sea salt or smoked sea salt or both (I used both)
- Line your muffin tin with mini cupcake liners.
- Place your chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl with the coconut oil and melt your chocolate.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate in the bottom of each liner. Pick up your tin and tilt it to make sure the chocolate has covered the bottoms of the liners.
- Pop the tin in the fridge for a few minutes until the chocolate hardens.
- Place your nut butter, maple powdered sugar, vanilla paste/extract and optional maple flavoring in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of nut butter paste into each cupcake liner. Depending on how heavy-handed you are, you may have some filling left over. Try to distribute any leftover filling as evenly as possible.
- Using damp fingers, gently press the filling flat in each cup.
- Top each nut butter with 1/2-1 teaspoon of puffed rice cereal and gently press the cereal into the filling.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of the caramel into the center of each cup. It will gently spread on its own and does not need to be perfect even.
- Place your last layer of 1/2 teaspoon of chocolate over top of the caramel and then sprinkle with the flaked salt. Smoked sea salt tastes amazing on these.
- Pop them back in the fridge until the chocolate is firm.
- I like to store these in a container in the fridge. The caramel does not harden and so they are great straight out of the fridge or at room temperature.
*Co-op Market carries so many different options of Equal Exchange chocolate, karmalize.me nut butters, Eliot’s nut butters, Fat Toad caramels and Frontier Co-op & Simply Organic flavorings that you really can experiment and make several different varieties of nut butter cups.
From this recipe
Accessories Silicone Baking Cupcake Liners SKU: 233377$8.79
Equal Exchange Equal Exchange Organic Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (70% Cacao) SKU: 234351$8.00
Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps Dr. Bronner's Whole Kernel Coconut Oil 30 fl. oz. SKU: 228671$25.49
Karmalize.Me Karmalize.Me Organic Sunflower Seed Butter 6 oz. SKU: 232508$7.29
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Maple Syrup Powder 1 lb. SKU: 2400$28.10
Simply Organic Simply Organic Vanilla Bean Paste 4 fl. oz. SKU: 19854$17.99
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Maple Flavor 2 fl. oz. SKU: 23081$5.49
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Table Grind 5 lb. SKU: 193$13.84
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Applewood Smoked Sea Salt, Medium Grind 1 lb. SKU: 4408$34.66
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Fleur de Sel Salt 1 lb. SKU: 4412$27.04