Gluten Free Lemon Lavender Cashew Cream Tart
Total Time: 3 hrs
Makes: 6-8 slices
This meyer lemon lavender cashew cream tart with an almond, coconut, crystallized ginger crust is not only gluten-free, but also vegan. It sounds fancy and difficult but it is super easy, the hardest part is coaxing the tart out of the pan. I used meyer lemons in this recipe, as they have a more subtle floral note to compliment the lavender, but you are more than welcome to use a traditional lemon for more tart and pucker. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
8-inch tart pan with a removable bottom
Coconut oil non-stick spray
1.5 cups of Bob’s Red Mill almond flour
Roughly 15 Frontier Co-op crystallized ginger slices
1/2 cup of Bob’s Red Mill unsweetened coconut flakes
Pinch of Frontier Co-op salt
1-4 tablespoons of hot water
1 cup of raw cashews soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes
1/2 cup of plant based creamer (I used a pistachio oat coffee creamer)
Zest of 1-2 meyer lemons per your taste
3 tablespoons of meyer lemon juice or more per taste
3 tablespoons of Wholesome Foods agave
1 teaspoon of Simply Organic lemon flavor
1.5 teaspoons or to taste of Frontier Co-op lavender flowers
1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op or Simply Organic vanilla extract
Pinch of Frontier Co-op salt
- Spray the tart pan heavily with non-stick coconut oil spray
- Add the almond flour, ginger slices, coconut, pinch of salt into your food processor and pulse a couple of times until all the ginger pieces are broken into crumbs.
- Start by adding just one tablespoon of water and pulse. Add more water until the mixture starts to come together. You want this mixture to hold together when pressed. You may not end up using all the water.
- Press the crust into your tart pan making sure to go up the sides as much as you can.
- Place in the freezer while you prepare the cashew cream.
- Drain the cashews an place in a high speed blender.
- Add plant based creamer, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon oil, salt, agave, lavender leaves and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust lavender, lemon or agave to taste if you need to.
- Add the cream to the crust and freeze anywhere from 1-2 hours or until firm enough to slice.
- If you choose to remove the tart from the outer ring you will need to thaw it slightly in the fridge or at room temp for a few minutes. You may also need to run a butter knife into each side groove of the tart pan helping release the crust. This truly is the hardest part of this recipe as you really have to take your time releasing this tart, just be patient, it is worth the wait.
- Serve with fresh fruit or a blueberry compote would be nice or even some freshly whipped lavender coconut cream.
From this recipe
Bob's Red Mill Bob's Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour 16 oz. SKU: 232703$12.49
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Crystallized Ginger Slices 1 lb. SKU: 225$17.90
Wildly Organic Wildly Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes 8 oz. SKU: 235170$7.59
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Table Grind 5 lb. SKU: 193$13.84
Wholesome Sweeteners Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Raw Blue Agave Syrup 11.75 oz. SKU: 232721$7.49
Simply Organic Simply Organic Lemon Flavor 2 fl. oz. SKU: 18528$5.39
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Lavender Flowers 0.1 oz. SKU: 66027$2.19
Simply Organic Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract 4 fl. oz. SKU: 18532$21.59