Pumpkin Pecan Blondies with Salted Cinnamon Maple Caramel Sauce
Total Time: 40 mins
Makes: 12 servings
These pumpkin pecan blondies are great on their own, drizzled with the vegan caramel sauce or add some ice cream and make a blondie sundae as I did. You can make the blondies completely vegan by swapping the egg out for a flax egg. The blondies are moist and fudgy. This will make a great dessert for football Sundays or your harvest dinners with friends and family. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
Beyond Gourmet parchment paper
1 cup (2 sticks) vegan butter
1 tablespoon of Frontier Co-op pumpkin pie spice or the **diy pumpkin spice
**if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own as I did, and add 1 tablespoon of homemade pumpkin pie spice mix to the recipe : 3 tablespoons of Frontier Co-op or Simply Organic ground cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of their ground ginger, 2 teaspoons of their ground nutmeg, 1.5 teaspoons of their ground cloves and 1.5 teaspoons of their five spice powder or allspice. I highly recommend swapping allspice for the five spice powder, it gives a whole richness & depth to the pumpkin spice mix. You will have leftover spice to use for another recipe.
1 cup of Wholesome Organic granulated sugar
1 cup of lightly packed Wholesome Organic light brown sugar
1 cup or 8 ounces of canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 teaspoon of Simply Organic vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op salt
1 large egg (beaten) or a flax egg (1 tablespoon of flax meal soaked in 3 tablespoons of water for 15 minutes)
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op baking powder
2 cups of chopped pecans
Salted Maple Cinnamon Caramel Sauce
1/4 cup of vegan butter
1/2 cup of Frontier Co-op maple powdered sugar
1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut cream from the can
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/8-1/4 teaspoon of Simply Organic vanilla bean paste or extract
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op or Simply Organic ground cinnamon
1/8-1/4 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op salt of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with nonstick spray and line with beyond gourmet parchment paper (optional).
- If using a large saucepan or dutch oven these blondies can be completely mixed in there for easy clean up.
- Melt your butter in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Add in your pumpkin pie spice and then remove your pan from the heat and add in both brown and white sugar. Stir til combined.
- Add in 1 cup of pumpkin puree (not pie filling). You can use the leftover pumpkin to make my whipped pumpkin butter recipe and also the Bob’s Red Mill gluten free pumpkin cornbread recipe.
- Add in your vanilla and salt.
- If you are using a real egg, you will want to beat or stir as you are adding it so that it doesn’t curdle. If you are using the flax egg, just add and stir.
- Add in your flour and sprinkle the baking powder over the whole mixture so it is distributed. Then stir.
- Stir in pecans until everything looks incorporated but don’t over beat.
- Pour into your baking dish and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Work on the caramel sauce while the blondies are baking
- In a small saucepan melt your butter.
- Stir in the maple powdered sugar. It may not fully combine.
- Add in the coconut cream, maple syrup and cinnamon. Continue stirring as mixture comes to a simmer, and continue stirring while it simmers until it thickens a bit, about 2-5 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and add in vanilla bean paste and salt to taste.
- Use immediate or cool it before refrigerating. You will need to reheat it for use later.
Salted Cinnamon Maple Caramel Sauce
Layer pecan blondie, dairy free ice cream of choice, and drizzle with the caramel.
From this recipe
Beyond Gourmet Beyond Gourmet Unbleached Parchment Paper 15'L x 1.75 W x 1.75H SKU: 207425$7.99
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Pumpkin Pie Spice 1.72 oz. SKU: 19086$5.69
Wholesome Sweeteners Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Granulated Sugar 32 oz. SKU: 232715$8.49
Simply Organic Simply Organic Vanilla Bean Paste 4 fl. oz. SKU: 19854$17.99
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sea Salt, Table Grind 5 lb. SKU: 193$13.84
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Baking Powder (no added aluminum) 5 lbs. SKU: 2313$54.66
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Maple Syrup Powder 1 lb. SKU: 2400$28.10
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Cinnamon, Vietnamese, Ground, Organic 1.31 oz. SKU: 19526$6.69