Vegan Cherry Almond Dark Chocolate Chunk Granola Cookies
Total Time: 25-35 mins
Makes: 8-10 cookiess
Some would argue that Levain Bakery in New York City makes the best chocolate chip cookie ever. So why not take the base copycat cookie recipe of the best chocolate chip cookie ever and make it vegan. Using the base cookie recipe as a template, that is where the similarity ends. Making some tweaks and using vegan butter, flax eggs and adding in vegan dark chocolate chunks, dried tart cherries, slivered almonds and a grain free soft and chewy granola, these cookies end up the size of your fist and you won’t even be mad about it. If there was such a thing as a “dinner cookie”, this would be it. You have my permission, go ahead and have cookies for dinner. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
Beyond Gourmet parchment paper
1 cup of vegan butter (straight out the fridge cold)
1 cup of Wholesome organic brown sugar
1/2 cup of Wholesome organic granulated sugar
2 flax eggs, Bob’s Red Mill Flaxseed Meal (a total of 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed meal and 6 tablespoons of water and leave it sit 15 minutes)
3 cups of bread flour (you can use all purpose flour here but I tend to use bread flour in all my cookie recipes as I feel it gives the cookie a chewier texture)
1 teaspoon of Bob’s Red Mill tapioca
3/4 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op baking soda
3/4 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op salt
1 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op organic vanilla extract
1.5-2 teaspoons of Simply Organic almond extract
1 cup of dairy free dark chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
1 cup of slivered almonds
1 cup of dried cherries (roughly chopped)
1 cup of a grain free soft & chewy granola (I used a dark chocolate sea salt)
- 400 degree oven and 2 cookie sheets lined with parchment paper
- Cream together your cold butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar for 2-4 minutes. You want this mixture creamy.
- Add 1/2 of the flax egg mixture and mix well, then add the other 1/2. If you are new to vegan baking, you will see these flax “eggs” mix up nice & fluffy just like a traditional egg would.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Add in your chocolate, cherries, almonds, granola, again, until just combined. Do not over mix.
- So you will get anywhere from 8-10 cookies depending on how heavy your hand is at scooping. Scoop a heaping 1/2 cup of dough and plop it on your cookie sheet. Anywhere from 4-5 cookies on each sheet. These will not spread much. They are a hearty cookie that may end up as big as your fist.
- Bake anywhere from 9-12 minutes. Just slightly starting to brown on the top. You will need to let these rest a good 15 min or so on the cookie sheet and then you can move them to a rack carefully.
From this recipe
Wholesome Sweeteners Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Light Brown Sugar 24 oz. SKU: 232713$6.55
Beyond Gourmet Beyond Gourmet Unbleached Parchment Paper 15'L x 1.75 W x 1.75H SKU: 207425$7.99
Bob's Red Mill Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal 16 oz. SKU: 232886$4.69
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Baking Soda 1 lb. SKU: 2302$4.50
Simply Organic Simply Organic Almond Extract 4 fl. oz. SKU: 18527$6.19
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Vanilla Extract 4 fl. oz. SKU: 23188$22.49
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Kosher Flake Salt 1 lb. SKU: 4419$10.00
Wholesome Sweeteners Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Granulated Sugar 32 oz. SKU: 232715$7.60