Baharat Bacon Wrapped Honey Nut Squash with Pepitas, Golden Raisins & Hot Honey
Total Time: 40 mins
Hands-on Time: 10 mins
Makes: 25 pieces
Honeynut squash looks like a baby butternut squash. This sweet, petite squash has only been in existence for less than a decade and is a cross between butternut and buttercup squash. This recipe is the perfect time to try out the Simply Organic Baharat seasoning. This unique seasoning has organic rose petals, which not only makes this dish fun, but absolutely delicious. Roasting the squash makes the skin fork tender and bursting with flavor from the bacon and Baharat seasoning. This recipe makes a fabulous side dish or place it on top of a bed of arugula and make it a salad. Warm pepitas and golden raisins along with a hot honey and pomegranate molasses drizzle round out this dish. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
2 honey nut squash
2 packages of bacon (not the super thick cut)
2 1/4 teaspoons of Simply Organic Baharat
1.5 teaspoons of Frontier Co-op maple syrup powder
Frontier Co-op salt to taste
1/4 cup of raw pepitas/pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup of golden raisins
1 tablespoon of butter
Mike’s Hot Honey
pomegranate molasses or balsamic syrup
Chosen Foods avocado oil
Chosen Foods avocado oil spray
- 450 degree oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and then place a rack on top. Spray the rack with avocado spray. I like to use avocado oil & spray with these high roasting temperatures vs an olive oil
- Cut the ends off the squash and then cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Turn the squash cavity side down and cut 1 inch half moon pieces. Depending on the size of your squash, you should end up with 25 pieces give or take.
- Place squash in a large bowl and drizzle 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil on top. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of the Baharat seasoning over the squash, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, tossing the squash in between to coat evenly.
- Now sprinkle 1.5 teaspoons of the maple syrup powder, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, tossing in between to coat evenly.
- Cut your bacon pieces in half and wrap around the center of your squash and place seem side down on rack.
- Roast the squash until fork tender. Anywhere from 20-25 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, place the pepitas/pumpkin seeds & golden raisins into a small skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of Baharat seasoning and salt to taste. Stir until the raisins start to plump & soften a bit and you may even see a small amount of caramelization.
- Sprinkle the pepitas & raisins over the warm squash and drizzle with Mike’s hot honey & pomegranate molasses.
- Dig in!
From this recipe
Simply Organic Simply Organic Baharat Seasoning 2.50 oz. SKU: 19648$8.79
Frontier Bulk Frontier Co-op Maple Syrup Powder 1 lb. SKU: 2400$28.10
Frontier Bulk Frontier Co-op Kosher Flake Salt 1 lb. SKU: 4419$10.40
Karmalize.Me Karmalize.Me Organic Pumpkin Seeds 2 oz. SKU: 230620$3.35
Chosen Foods Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil 25.4 fl. oz. SKU: 235572$19.99
Mike's Hot Honey Mike's Hot Honey Chili Infused Honey 12 fl. oz. squeeze bottle SKU: 234037$10.99