Frico Egg & Crispy Prosciutto Arugula Salad with Lemony Italian Dressing
Total Time: 20 mins
Makes: 4 eggs, 20 tbsp of dressing
Frico is a crispy fried mound of parmesan cheese. Topping that cheese with a sunny side up egg while it cooks produces a yummy crispy cheesy bottom that you can top an arugula salad with or even sandwich between bread for a unique breakfast sandwich or breakfast for dinner. Crispy Prosciutto and a lemony Italian dressing round out this simple salad that is easy to make but has depth of flavor. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
5 ounces of baby arugula or baby spinach divided among 4 plates
4 organic free range eggs large or extra large
A cup or more of really good shredded parmesan cheese
Small package of prosciutto torn and fried until crispy in a skillet
Lemony Italian dressing
1/2 cup of plain or lemon olive oil, Sutter Buttes lemon olive oil is a good option
1/2 cup of Sutter Buttes lemon balsamic vinegar
*if you choose to use a white vinegar and add in fresh lemon juice to taste but also add in some honey or Wholesome agave syrup to taste. If you choose to use the Sutter Buttes lemon balsamic you won’t need to use any sweetener as it has a sweetness already to it.
Frontier Co-op salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of Simply Organic oregano
1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op sweet basil leaf
1/4 teaspoon of Simply Organic parsley
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground Frontier Co-op pink peppercorn
Frontier Co-op crushed red pepper flake to taste if you like “zingy” Italian dressing
1. Simply mix all salad dressing ingredients in a mason jar and set aside on the counter to marinate. Always adjust for taste.
2. Divide arugula between 4 plates.
3. Tear your prosciutto into smaller pieces and fry in a skillet for just a couple of seconds per side to make them crispy and set aside on a plate.
4. In that same skillet, spray with some non-stick or coconut oil spray, place around 1/4 cup of parmesan in warm skillet and spread it out slightly but not leaving any gaps. As it starts to melt you will crack an egg on top of each pile of cheese and then cover that skillet. Cook until the egg is done to your likeness and the cheese is crispy on the bottom.
5. Top the salad with your crispy prosciutto, frico egg and spoon over some of that lemony Italian vinaigrette.
6. This also makes a wonder open faced sandwich with some really good ciabatta or focaccia underneath the salad.
From this recipe
Sutter Buttes Sutter Buttes Meyer Lemon Infused Olive Oil 8.5 fl. oz SKU: 233915$13.35
Sutter Buttes Sutter Buttes Lemon Balsamic Vinegar 8.5 fl. oz SKU: 233920$13.35
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Garlic Powder 2.40 oz. SKU: 18350$6.89
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Onion Powder, White, Organic 2.10 oz. SKU: 18433$6.19
Simply Organic Simply Organic Oregano 0.75 oz. SKU: 18521$5.89
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Sweet Basil Leaf, Cut & Sifted, Organic 0.56 oz. SKU: 18304$5.19
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Pink Peppercorns, Organic 1/2 lb. SKU: 2897$52.00
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Red Chili Peppers, Crushed 1.20 oz. SKU: 18320$4.69
Simply Organic Simply Organic Parsley 0.26 oz. SKU: 18522$5.39