Italian Sausage Risotto
Total Time: 45 mins
Makes: 4 servings
Risotto is a labor of love. If you have never made risotto because you are afraid, this is a good recipe to cut your teeth on, pun intended. This is a dish that will be on repeat at your house and leftovers reheat well so make a double batch. You can easily make this dish vegetarian by omitting the sausage and switching to vegetable broth, maybe add in some shredded carrots or even walnut meat. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
1 28 ounce can of fire roasted diced tomatoes in juice
2 diced shallots
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 pound of sweet Italian sausage, bulk or casings removed
1 cup of arborio rice
5 ounces of fresh baby spinach chopped
1 cup of fresh or frozen sweet peas
3 1/2 cups of chicken stock
2 tablespoons of butter
2-3 tablespoons of Frontier Co-op pizza seasoning or Frontier Italian seasoning or a combo of both
1/2-3/4 cup of really good parmesan cheese
1 lemon zested
Frontier Co-op salt & pepper to taste
Fresh Italian parsley & basil
1. In a saucepan, combine tomatoes & stock and bring to a simmer and keep on low.
2. In a large saucepan or dutch oven, heat your oil and cook sausage and shallots making sure to break up the meat. Cook about 5 minutes.
3. Add arborio and pizza seasoning or Italian seasoning. Cook another 2 minutes, stirring until well combined.
4. Add your first ladle of tomato chicken stock and stir until absorbed.
5. Add another 2 ladles of tomato chicken stock and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often, until absorbed about another 4-5 minutes. Continue adding ladles of stock mixture and stirring frequently until absorbed.
6. Right before the last ladle of stock, add in your chopped spinach & peas. We don’t want to cook them, just warm them through and wilt the spinach but we want to keep that nice green vibrant color to the veggies.
7. Once the risotto is creamy and but still has a little bite to it (like pasta), stir in 2 tablespoons of butter, lemon zest, adjust seasonings along with salt & pepper and top off with parmesan cheese and some fresh chopped Italian parsley & basil. Risotto with thicken as it cools.
From this recipe
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Pizza Seasoning Blend 1.04 oz. SKU: 18906$4.19
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Italian Seasoning 0.64 oz. SKU: 18907$4.69
Frontier Co-op Frontier Co-op Coarse Grind Black Pepper 1.76 oz. SKU: 18381$5.69
Organico Bello Organico Bello Organic Whole Peeled Canned Tomatoes SKU: 234693$6.89