Sweet & Smoky Umami Bison Shepherd’s Pie
Total Time: 45 mins
Hands-on Time: 20 mins
Makes: 6 servings
This bison shepherd’s pie gets its sweet and smoky flavor from the Simply Organic Umami Blend. Hints of maple and smoked paprika, along with shiitake and porcini mushrooms, infuse this bison and veggie filling with robust flavor. This pie comes together easily on a busy night with frozen thawed veggies and Bob’s Red Mill instant mashed potatoes. Make this in a 12 inch skillet that is about 2 ½ inches deep on the stove so you can pop the already warm pie into the oven and it will be done in roughly 20 minutes. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
1 lb. of organic grass fed ground bison
16 oz. of thawed frozen mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
10 oz. of thawed frozen diced sweet potatoes or butternut squash
1 cup of thawed frozen fire roasted corn
1 package of Bob’s Red Mill instant mashed potato flakes
2 packages of Simply Organic brown gravy mix
2 teaspoons of Simply Organic umami blends spice (extra for sprinkling)
½ cup of parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons of butter
Chosen Foods avocado spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Next make 8 servings of the Bob’s Red Mill mashed potatoes according to the instructions on the package and set to the side.
- Heat your skillet over medium heat and spray with some Chosen Foods avocado oil. Saute your ground bison until there is no more pink.
- Add in your thawed mixed vegetables, sweet potatoes and roasted corn and stir well to combine.
- Sprinkle in both packages of the Simply Organic brown gravy and add 2 cups of water, along with 2 teaspoons of the Simply Organic umami blend. Continue to stir reducing the heat if you need to until the gravy starts to thicken. Once the gravy has thickened turn off the heat.
- Stir ½ cups of parmesan cheese into your mashed potatoes.
- Place dollops of the mashed potatoes all over the beef and veggie filling mix and then spread evenly with a spatula all the way to the edges of the pan.
- Sprinkle the potato topping with more of that Simply Organic sweet and smoky umami blend.
- Thinly slice some pats of butter and randomly place the mover the potatoes.
- Pop the pie into the oven on 350 degrees for roughly 20min or until golden and starting to bubble around the edges.
- You can turn on the broiler for the last 2 minutes or so if you want to crisp and brown up the potato topping a bit more. Do not walk away from the oven if you choose to broil.
- Let the shepherd’s pie sit for a few minutes before sprinkling a few fresh herbs of choice on top and dishing out to hungry masses.