Frozen Icelandic Yogurt Bark with Chocolate, Hazelnuts and Dark Cherries
Total Time: 3 hrs
Hands-on Time: 10 mins
Makes: 10 pieces
Frozen yogurt bark has become all the rage. What happens when you aren’t the biggest fan of yogurt? You use “skyr” instead so you don’t miss out on this craze. Skyr is a cultured dairy from Iceland much like yogurt, but with a milder flavor, a hint of residual sweetness, and it is lower in sugar and higher in protein. It is delicious and you can find it in just about any dairy section with the yogurt. We are going to swirl in some Eliot’s hazelnut chocolate spread, which is super low in sugar and you would never know it. Eliot’s is bomb and turned this chocolate hazelnut spread hater into a chocolate hazelnut spread lover. Top it with some chopped frozen dark sweet cherries, more toasted hazelnuts, and you have a clean sweet treat, snack or a grab’n go breakfast. (Thank you to our friend Stacey Swanson for creating this wonderful recipe.)
Beyond Gourmet parchment paper
15 ounces of thick & creamy vanilla skyr which is an Icelandic yogurt. You can substitute a thick greek yogurt.
1/2 teaspoon of Frontier Co-op or Simply Organic vanilla IF you are using plain yogurt
2 tablespoons Eliot’s chocolate hazelnut spread warmed until runny so you can drizzle it
2 tablespoons of chopped dried cherries
1/8 cup of chopped fresh dark cherries or frozen
1/8 cup of chopped toasted hazelnuts
2-3 tablespoons of Wholesome organic agave (sub honey or another sweetener of choice to taste)
- Make sure you have some room in your freezer before starting recipe to place the bark to freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Line a smaller baking tray or a freezer safe tray with parchment paper
- Mix your yogurt and sweetener in a bowl. Adding in some vanilla to taste if you are using plain yogurt.
- Using a spatula, spread the yogurt on top of the parchment until it is about 1/2 in thick all around.
- Make sure you have warmed your nut butter in the microwave just for 20 seconds or so to loosen it up to drizzle over the yogurt mixture. After drizzling you are welcome to swirl the nut butter into the yogurt.
- Top the yogurt with the dried & frozen/fresh cherries and chopped hazelnuts
- Pop in the freezer for about 2-3 hours. Once it is frozen, break it into chunks and place in a freezer safe bag and store it back in the freezer.
*This is yogurt. It will melt. Before eating, let it sit at room temp for about 2 minutes to soften a little but don’t wait too long or forget about it. Play around with the recipe. Use different flavors of skyr, different toppings, have fun with it.